ANSI Approves NGWA Water Well Construction Standard
The standard will provide minimum criteria to properly design and construct well systems
Following its determination that the National Ground Water Assn. (NGWA) properly met its standard development process, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has approved, pending a 15-day appeal period, for NGWA to issue ANSI/NGWA-01-14, a water well construction standard. Throughout the standard development process, ANSI-required core principles to be followed were openness, balance, lack of dominance, and consensus.
NGWA's first-ever third-party sanctioned standard, ANSI/NGWA-01-14 sets a baseline of expectations for water well system professionals to meet for residential, agricultural, monitoring, industrial, and public supply water wells. The standard seeks to contribute to public health and safety, resource protection, and to serve as an outcomes focus for NGWA's voluntary water well system professional certification program.
The process to establish the standard began eight years ago when NGWA initiated efforts to become an ANSI-accredited standards developer. NGWA's initiative was officially announced via ANSI's Standards Action in 2008.
Topics covered by the ANSI/NGWA standard include:
- Well site selection
- Casing and casing installation
- Well screens, filter pack, and formation stabilizer
- Plumbness and alignment
- Well development
- Testing for performance
- Data recording
- Disinfection with chlorine
- Water sampling and analysis
- Permanent well and test-hole decommissioning
Thom M. Hanna, RPG, a member of NGWA's Standards Development Oversight Committee, said the standard will provide minimum criteria to anyone who needs guidance on properly designed and constructed well systems.
The standard will be available in the NGWA bookstore in the near future.
More Like This
- NGWA Hosts Free Webinars for Water Well Owners
- Guidance Issued on Residential Water Well Methane Reduction
- NGWA to Develop Standard for Loop Wells in Ground Source Heat Pump Systems
- Water Well Checkup Focus of NGWA's Ground Water Awareness Week
- NGWA Promotes Well Maintenance During Ground Water Awareness Week