AWWA Directors Select President-Elect
Gene Koontz will begins his role as president-elect in June 2014
The American Water Works Assn. (AWWA) board of directors elected Gene Koontz of Lemoyne, Pa., as its next president-elect and chose five new vice presidents and two directors-at-large.
An AWWA member since 1982, Koontz oversees environmental services for Gannett Fleming Inc., a global infrastructure firm that provides planning, design, technology and construction management services for a diverse range of markets and disciplines. He has served as an active volunteer and leader within the AWWA Pennsylvania Section as well as on the broader association level.
Koontz begins his role as president-elect in June 2014, at the conclusion of AWWA’s Annual Conference and Exposition in Boston. He will serve his one-year presidential term beginning in June 2015.
A civil engineering graduate of Lehigh University, Koontz has held many leadership positions within the Pennsylvania Section, including section chair, chair of the Water Quality Committee, member of the Water Utility Council, and chair of the Program Committee. On a broader level, he has served on three separate Water Research Foundation project advisory committees.
The five new vice presidents selected by the board are:
- Brenda Lennox, a Pacific Northwest Section director from Tualatin Valley Water District. She currently serves on the Management & Leadership Division, Standing Committee on Diversity & Member Inclusion and Heroism Award Committee;
- Tom Moulton, a former board member of the Ontario Water Works Assn., who is profit center manager for Emco Corp. Waterworks;
- Warner Palermo, director of technical services for Integrated Global Solutions in Puerto Rico;
- Lela Perkins, Rocky Mountain Section director from Colorado, who works as engineering manager for Black & Veatch; and
- Steve Shoaf, North Carolina Section director, who is also director of the city of Asheville Water Resources Department.
Also elected were a director-at-large and a service provider director-at-large.
The director-at-large is Uma Vempati from the Minnesota Section, a principal engineer for Brown and Caldwell.
The service provider director-at-large is Pete Samson from the Ontario Water Works Assn. He is team leader and system integrator for Eramosa Eng. Inc. in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.