Large, public water systems serve 82% of the U.S. population, yet they account for only 8% of all water systems. The remaining 92% of systems serve smaller populations and have smaller budgets—and, as such, have more difficulty finding and affording water treatment solutions. WQP Associate Editor Sara Samovalov spoke with Jeff Lipton, director of marketing for WaterSmart, about data systems and how they can benefit small systems.
Sara Samovalov: What is the WaterSmart Essential platform?
One of the most important aspects of testing and certifying drinking water treatment chemicals to NSF/ANSI Standard 60, the standard for health effects, is the maximum use level (MUL) to which the chemical is certified. The MUL can be compared to the maximum lightbulb wattage on a lamp, established to help prevent a fire hazard, or the weight and chest size ranges on a life jacket, important ratings to help prevent drowning.
The maximum use level is a key component in chemical certification
As some of you may know, WQP is not an only child—it has two sister publications, Water & Wastes Digest, which covers municipal and industrial water and wastewater treatment, and Storm Water Solutions, which covers storm water management and erosion control. Although each magazine has one primary editor, our staff must work as a team to ensure that all three magazines get to our readers on time each month.
Healthy Babies Bright Futures (HBBF)—a new alliance of scientists, nonprofit organizations and donors—has partnered with Virginia Tech to offer Lead in Water Action Kits to U.S. families so they can detect hazardous water in their homes. The kits are $65 apiece, but families also have the option to pay what they can afford. Virginia Tech’s laboratory will analyze each of the kits’ three water samples for lead contamination. HBBF intends to investigate the data from the test kit results, contributing to knowledge about the threat of lead in tap water.
If, like me, you are a fan of HGTV’s “Flip or Flop” and you are in the water industry, there is probably one aspect of the show that drives you crazy—the show’s hosts, who flip homes in Southern California, lay sod in the front and back yards of the homes they renovate.
From coast to coast, regional associations serve a variety of purposes for water professionals. Most importantly, they advocate for the water industry by working with local and state governments and agencies to advance legislation and policies that help the industry. Here, representatives of the Minnesota, Texas, Pacific and Eastern water quality associations provide updates of the latest legislative efforts in their states and regions.
Pushing Forward Licensing Legislation
By Mike Herman
Regional associations advance the water industry through legislation
Family businesses abound in the water treatment industry, with many now helmed by the third or even fourth generation. Here WQP highlights three such dealerships—McKinney Artesian Well & Pump Supply Co. of Plaistow, N.H.; Culligan of Marlette, Mich.; and Abendroth Water Conditioning of Fort Atkinson, Wis.—as examples of the hard work and values that go into running a successful family business in this industry.
A look at the water industry’s multi-generational family businesses
WQP’s first annual Young Professionals program recognizes 14 of the best and brightest water industry professionals under the age of 40. Representing all sectors of the industry, from manufacturing to dealerships to associations, they were nominated for this honor by their colleagues for demonstrating creativity, entrepreneurship and a love of the water industry.
Timothy Van Overloop, CWS, CI
Owner, NMP Water Systems
WQP recognizes 14 up and comers in the water industry
Conversations about water treatment usually focus on things—the treatment technology, the hardware, the contaminant. This is true of most articles in WQP, where we discuss new applications, the latest technologies and emerging contaminant concerns.
The truth is that without the people who make up the water treatment industry—the dealers who answer the late-night service calls, the association members who travel to meet with legislators and regulators, the water professionals going above and beyond—the industry would not be where it is today.
To help schools, businesses, and other facilities save water in restrooms, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has added a new category to its list of products that can earn the WaterSense label—flushometer-valve toilets, also known as water closets. Here, WQP Associate Editor Elisabeth Lisican discusses the new category with WaterSense Lead Engineer Stephanie Tanner.
Elisabeth Lisican: Please explain the new category that was recently added to the list of products that can earn the WaterSense label.