WQA members and staff answer questions and offer facts and figures on Capitol Hill
Sitting down with the elected officials and key players in Washington, D.C., earlier this month, the Water Quality Assn. (WQA) leadership built and strengthened relationships as part of an expanded effort to make the industry’s voice heard.
On Oct. 1 and 2, 2013, more than half a dozen staff and members of WQA explained their positions, answered questions and offered facts and figures on Capitol Hill and beyond. This marked the second such visit by WQA this year.
New book highlights the efforts of Maine citizens to prevent a corporation from extracting groundwater
In From Groundwater to Grass Roots, author Walter Baily chronicles the struggle of residents in the rural Maine towns of Newfield and Shapleigh to prevent an international corporation from extracting groundwater. This book highlights residents’ actions and developing knowledge as they advocate for protecting groundwater beneath their homes and communities. The issue was not only preservation of an aquifer, but the principle that a resource fundamental to life should not become a commodity for private profit.
Deanna Cox appointed vice president of marketing
Deanna Cox, CWS II, has been appointed vice president of marketing for Rainwater Resources, a water management service company specializing in design, consultation and design/build of rainwater harvesting systems for detention, innovative use and groundwater recharge. The company helps developers and builders with storm water runoff regulations compliance and acquisition of LEED certification points.
Memorandum of understanding signed at WEFTEC.13 in Chicago
The Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) agreed to collaborate on a broad spectrum of water issues of mutual interest and benefit to the field. The agreement was signed in Chicago at WEFTEC.13, the world’s largest annual water quality conference and exhibition.
Jeff Hubbard of Canature North America elected to WQAW board of directors
Jeff Hubbard of Canature North America has been elected to the board of directors for the Water Quality Assn. of Wisconsin (WQAW). Hubbard provides the WWQA with over 23 years of valuable industry experience. He is the Canature regional sales manager for Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana, and is based out of his home office in Appleton Wis.
EPA-funded cooperative agreement will increase the knowledge of private well owners
The National Ground Water Assn. (NGWA) invites household water well owners to take advantage of a new hotline, a monthly tip sheet and other training and technical assistance tools supported by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The goal of the EPA-funded cooperative agreement with NGWA is to increase the knowledge of private well owners in the 50 states, territories and tribal lands so that they can act in ways that reduce risks to their drinking water supplies.
Distribution through 3M Purification in the U.S. and 3M in Canada to stop at the end of the year
Wholesalers, distributors and dealers that have purchased UV Pure products and parts from 3M in the U.S. or Canada may now purchase them directly from UV Pure Technologies. Parts will continue to be available to wholesalers from 3M through calendar year 2014, or directly from UV Pure.
Manheim Georgia location celebrates 5th anniversary of Water Conservation Center
Cox Enterprises and its Manheim Georgia auction operation celebrated the fifth anniversary of its Water Conservation Center. Company leadership, local officials and representatives from environmental nonprofits all attended the event.
The Water Conservation Center opened in 2008 during the region's historic drought. The center continues to reduce the location's daily water demand by reusing 60% of the treated water and returning the remaining 40% to the county.
Charger opens new branch in Jacksonville, Fla., and relocates location in Port Richey, Fla.
Charger Water Treatment Products has opened a new branch in Jacksonville, Fla. The new branch is managed by Todd Mosteller. Mosteller has more that 25 years experience in the water treatment industry. The company’s Port Richey, Fla., branch, managed by Eric Beck, has also moved to a larger facility in Odessa, Fla.
Charger will host a grand opening-open house for the Jacksonville branch Oct. 23 to 24.
Falkirk Mining Co. won a John Deere XUV 825i Gator Camo Utility Vehicle
Thompson Pump & Mfg. Co. Inc. announced the winner of the Gator Giveaway Sweepstakes. The grand prize of the sweepstakes is a John Deere XUV 825i Gator Camo Utility Vehicle with an estimated retail value of $13,500. The winner was the Falkirk Mining Co. located in Underwood, N.D. Jeremy Eckroth, an environmental specialist at the Falkirk Mining Co., submitted the winning entry.