The US Water Alliance released a reminder that the application deadline for the ...
AWWA Kicks Off National Drinking Water Week
The American Water Works Association (AWWA) launched the annual national Drinking Water Week with the theme, "The Wonder of Water." For more than 30 years, local water providers and their communities have celebrated Drinking Water Week, a time to recognize the vital role water plays in our daily lives.
"A safe, pure, and uninterrupted flow of drinking water remains a commitment of the drinking water profession," said Jack Hoffbuhr, AWWA executive director. "We celebrate Drinking Water Week knowing that North America?s water ranks among the cleanest and safest supplies in the world."
Citizens are learning to take pride in this essential resource. Some interesting facts about water include
- Americans use 341 billion gallons of fresh water per day.
- There are more than 53,000 community water systems in the United States, serving almost 258 million people.
- A person can live for a month without food, but only about a week without water.
- The U.S. uses 100 billion gallons of water per day for crop irrigation.
- There is the same amount of water on Earth now as when the earth was formed.