Five Water Systems Receive Orders from EPA
As part of an ongoing initiative to protect drinking water in the Pacific Northwest, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued administrative Compliance orders (AOs) to five public water systems that have failed to prepare/distribute/certify their 2004 Consumer Confidence Reports (CCR). CCRs are the centerpiece of public right to know provisions under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). The report is intended to be an annual snapshot of the local water quality and the report is required July 1st of every year.
The below are the lists of Respondents who remain in significant non-compliance:
* Kelleys Estates and Leonard Kelly, 74481 Larson Road, Rainier, Oregon 97048;
* Kerry and Barbara Ford, Owners/Operators, and the Pilchuck Riviera #2, PO Box 2357 Snohomish, Washington 98291;
* Don Wilhelms, Owner/Operator, and the Spencer Glen Water System, 20 E. Spencer Glen Drive Shelton, Washington 98584;
* Richard Madan ,Owner/Operator, and the Sunset Ranch Homeowners Association, 671 Lookout Loop Eastsound, Washington 98245; and
* David Ballestrasse, Owner/Operator and the Walczak Water Inc., 28102 SE 432nd Enumclaw, Washington 98022.
Of the original number of systems, only five remain in significant non-compliance. EPA considers these violations significant because consumers have a right to know what is in their drinking water and owners/operators are required to communicate how their system is operating. The reports provide valuable information to customers that allow them to make informed choices about their health and raises awareness of where their drinking water comes from.
EPA’s goal is to help consumers understand how safe drinking water is delivered to their homes and provide information about the system. All violations must be included with a clear understandable explanation of any potential health effects, length of the violation, and steps taken toward correcting the violation. Administrative penalties of up to $27,500 may be imposed for violations of the order.