IDA Presents Best Paper, Emerging Leader Awards
Awards were conferred at the conclusion of the 2013 IDA World Congress
The International Desalination Assn. (IDA) announced the recipients of its Best Papers Awards and the Emerging Leaders Achievement Award in Desalination and Water Reuse. The awards were conferred at the conclusion of the 2013 IDA World Congress on Desalination and Water Reuse, held Oct. 20 to 25 in Tianjin, China.
Five awards for Best Papers are presented at each IDA World Congress following conclusion of the technical program. Selected by the World Congress awards committee, chaired this year by Imad Makhzoumi, awards were conferred in five categories, with each winner receiving a monetary prize of $5,000. The 2013 winners are:
- Best Oral Presentation, Thermal Desalination and Water Reuse: Dr. Guillermo Zaragoza, Plataforma Solar de Almeria, Spain, for "Experimental Comparison of Different Prototypes of Solar Energy Driven Membrane Distillation Systems";
- Best Oral Presentation, Membrane Desalination and Water Reuse: Nuria Pena Garcia, Genesys Membrane Products, Spain, for "Study of the Physical and Chemical Damage on Reverse Osmosis Membranes Detected by Autopsies";
- Best Oral Presentation, General Topic of Desalination and Water Reuse: Lucina Equihua, Degrémont, Mexico, for "Successful Story to Develop a Multiple Water Reuse Project and Its Framework";
- Best Oral Presentation, Young Leader (presented and coauthored by a member of IDA’s Young Leaders Program): Ronan McGovern, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S., for "Design and Optimization of Hybrid ED-RO Systems for the Treatment of Highly Saline Brines"; and
- Best Poster Presentation, General Topic of Desalination and Water Reuse: Anastasios Karabelas, Center for Research and Technology-Hellas, Greece, for "Monitoring the Membrane Scaling Propensity of Retentate in Reverse Osmosis Desalination Plants."
The Emerging Leaders Achievement Award in Desalination and Water Reuse was presented to Miguel Galvez of NBD Nanotechnologies Inc., U.S. This award, which carries a monetary prize of $5,000, was sponsored by IDA’s regional affiliate, Water Desalination Engineering Chapter (WDEC), in support of the Young Leaders Program growth initiative. This award was introduced at the 2011 IDA World Congress in Perth. Australia. It is open to members of the IDA Young Leaders Program and recognizes the recipient’s contribution to the desalination and water reuse industry as well as his or her track record of positive leadership.