A science team led by researchers at Rutgers University discovered a new tool for removing contaminants from water. Tiny glowing crystals designed...
Winners revealed in awards ceremony in Barcelona
The winners of the International Water Assn. (IWA) Project Innovation Awards were revealed in an awards ceremony in Barcelona, Spain. The winners by award category are:
• Winner: “IGS Technology – An Innovative, Cost Effective & Environmentally Friendly
Ozone Generation Process,” Degremont Technologies, Ltd., Ozonia Switzerland; and
• Honor Awards: “The Sustainable Life Cycle of Polyethylene,” Suez Environnement SA, France; and “Cryocore: Air Sampling by Cryogenic Condensation. A Very Near Future,” AGBAR, Spain.
• Winner: “Sustainable Drinking Water Production: Recovery & Use of Water-Based Methane,” Vitens/Royal Haskoning, The Netherlands.
• Winner: “COWAMA (Coastal Water Management),” CLABSA (AGBAR), Spain.
• Winner: “Demand for Water in the 2050s,” Environment Agency, U.K.
• Winner: “Micro Metering District Area Enabler,” EMUASA, Spain; and
• Honor Award: “Ice Pigging Technology to Clean Potable Water Mains,” AGBAR, U.K.
The Project Innovation Awards Program (PIA) was established by IWA in 2006 to recognize excellence and innovation in water engineering projects throughout the world. The Awards program supports IWA’s goal to “connect water professionals worldwide to lead the development of effective and sustainable approaches to water management.” Amongst other criteria, project evaluation has been based on social, economic and sustainable design and the future value to the water engineering profession.
All European winners and honor awardees will be advanced together with the winners and honor awardees of the East Asia, Asia-Pacific and North America Regional Awards competition to compete for the PIA Global Grand Prize, which will be presented at the IWA World Water Congress in Montreal, Canada, on Sept. 22, 2010.
The 2010 Project Innovation Awards are sponsored by Beijing Capital, Black & Veatch, GHD, KWR, Malcolm Pirnie, Nagaoka International Corp. and SKM.