Federal officials held meetings regarding the alleged Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., drinking water that was contaminated...
Former NGWA president receives Ross L. Oliver Award for outstanding contributions to groundwater industry
Former National Ground Water Assn. (NGWA) president Loyd Watson, MGWC, has received top honors as NGWA announced its annual industry awards.
Watson was named the 2011 recipient of the Ross L. Oliver Award for outstanding contributions to the groundwater industry. President of NGWA in 2007, Watson is president of his own drilling contracting firm, Watson Co. Inc., in Lascassas, Tennessee.
Other 2011 NGWA award recipients are as follows:
Awards of Excellence
• Craig M. Bethke, Ph.D., the R.E. Grim Professor at the University of Illinois received the M. King Hubbert Award for major science contributions to the knowledge of groundwater.
• Beverly L. Herzog, CGWP, from the Illinois Geological Survey received the Robert Storm Interdivisional Cooperation Award.
• William Dauksza of Barmore Pump and Electric Co., James W. Goeke from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lee Orton from Nebraska Well Drillers Assn., Bill C. Stoner from Stoner Drilling Inc., and Charlie Waller of Uvalde Pump Service all received Life Member Awards.
• Lloyd Duplantis of Haiti Mission Inc. in Thibodaux, La. received an Honorary Member Award.
• Mark L. Kram, Ph.D., from Groundswell Technologies in Santa Barbara, Calif. received the Technology Award.
• David M. Kelly, CWD/PI from Jones Well Drilling Inc. in Jarrettsville, Md. received the Standard Bearer Award.
• U.S. Senator Herb Kohl from Wisconsin received the Ground Water Protector Award.
• Robert J. Stone, senior vice president of Franklin Electric in Bluffton, Ind. And president of Franklin’s Americas Water Systems Group received the Manufacturers Division Special Recognition Award.
• Paul C. Johnson, Ph.D., from the University of Arizona and editor of NGWA’s Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation received the Keith E. Anderson Award for outstanding contributions to NGWA’s Scientists and Engineers Division.
• Jiu Jimmy Jiao, Ph.D., from the University of Hong Kong received the John Hem Excellence in Science & Engineering Award for significant scientific or engineering contributions to the understanding of groundwater.
Outstanding Groundwater Project Awards
• Daniel B. Stephens & Associates Inc. from Albuquerque, N.M. received the Ground Water Supply Award.
• The Water Replenishment District of Southern California received the Ground Water Protection Award.
• AMEC from Amherst, N.Y. received the Ground Water Remediation Award.