NGWA Announces Student Awards
National Ground Water Research and Educational Foundation awards $4,000 to four students
The National Ground Water Research and Educational Foundation distributed a total of $4,000 in Farvolden Awards to four students for paper or poster presentations made at the 2013 NGWA Summit, the national and international conference on groundwater that took place April 28 to May 2 in San Antonio.
Given in honor of the late Dr. Robert Farvolden, former senior science counsel for the National Ground Water Assn., the scholarships were awarded based on the quality of the presentation, content (including contribution to groundwater science, engineering, management or policy), and demonstrated insight on the chosen topic.
The awards for 2011 through 2015 are underwritten by S.S. Papadopulos & Associates Inc. This year’s award amount of $1,000 was increased from last year’s $750.
The 2013 Farvolden Award winners are:
- Si Gou, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, for the paper “Understanding Groundwater Uptake by Phreatophytic Vegetation Using a System Dynamics Modeling Approach”;
- David H. Ju, Baylor University, Waco, Texas, for the paper “Effect of Urbanization and Mining to an Alluvial Aquifer in Central Texas”;
- Ranjani Ravi, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, for the poster “A Novel Approach for Detection of Norovirus in Groundwater”; and
- Thomas Robert, Institut National de la Recherché Scientifique, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, for the paper “LNAPL In Situ Recovery in Low Permeability Soil Using Soil Washing and Multi-Phase Vacuum Extraction."
Click here to learn more about the Farvolden Awards.
More Like This
- Four Students Receive Awards for NGWA Ground Water Summit Presentations
- NGWA Summit to Explore 'Everything Groundwater'
- Cal State Fullerton Professor Receives Top NGWA Awards
- National Ground Water Research and Educational Foundation Awards $20,000 in Scholarships
- NGWREF Awards $20,000 in Scholarships