NOWRA Conference & Exposition to be Held Oct. 10-13
The National Waterwater Recycling Association's 14th Annual Technical Education Conference & Exposition will be held from October 10 to 13 at the Cleveland Reniassance Hotel (22 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio).
Hundreds of the nations leading experts, technical professionals, and service practitioners within the decentralized wastewater industry will participate in and attend education sessions, panels and training on onsite wastewater treatment.
The 2005 four-day program is by far the largest NOWRA has ever had. The conference will host the biggest industry exposition of equipment and products, as well as education and training sessions designed to advance professional development.
The headquarters hotel — Cleveland Renaissance Hotel & Conference Center — is conveniently located at 22 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio. Access to the hotel from the airport is easily accommodated by the rapid rail system.
The conference theme is "Onsite is Here to Stay..." focuses on programs and projects addressing vital wastewater infrastructure needs facing the nation. It is the integration of onsite treatment systems to provide essential wastewater capacity and replenish groundwater resources that supports sustainable development concepts.
Invited guest speakers include Governor Robert “Bob” Taft, Ohio’s leading Senator George Voinovich, (R-OH), and Benjamin Grumbles, US EPA assistant administrator for Water. A member of the president’s “White House Economic Advisory Council” has also been invited to participate in a special business roundtable on Tuesday, October 11th on the economic benefits of decentralized systems.
Program details are provided on NOWRA’s Website. Highlights of the conference include the following activities and events.
- Monday, Oct. 10 – All technical sessions begin at 8 a.m., with presentations focusing on nutrient removal, operations and maintenance, cluster designs and soils and planning performance. All sessions receive CEU’s (continuing education units). Special topics being featured include Balanced Growth and Surface Water Protection in the Lake Erie Watershed forum, a two-day workshop on Basic Leveling and Applications, (pre-registration required) and NOWRA’s premier education course, The Basics of Onsite Systems A to Z begins its updated 2-day program.
- Monday, Oct. 10 – 5:00 to 7:00 pm – NOWRA’s Official Welcome Reception for attendees, guests and dignitaries occurs within the exposition halls and is hosted by NOWRA’s participating business members.
- Tuesday, October 11 – 8:00 am – NOWRA’s General Session features a special issues forum addressing the critical and often controversial topic – Watertight Septic Tanks! This program follows traditional welcoming statements by invited dignitaries, public officials and NOWRA officers.
- Tuesday, October 11 – 12 noon – NOWRA‘s Annual Awards and Recognition Luncheon follows the General Session. Governor “Bob” Taft is the invited guest speaker. This program recognizes achievements and contributions of the industry members.
NOWRA’s 2005 EXPOSITION SHOW is open all afternoon for members to attend and learn about the products and services to support their work. There are no technical sessions scheduled on Tuesday.
- Tuesday, October 11 – 3:00 pm, a special Industry Roundtable convenes with industry leaders identifying future actions and legislation needed to address the nations wastewater treatment infrastructure.
- Wednesday, October 12 – Technical sessions resume for a full day – from 8 am to 5 pm, and include two special panel presentations, Removing Barriers to Onsite Systems, and Using Model Performance Codes. In addition to the technical sessions, NOWRA will host an Exposition Open House, free of charge to the media, public, contractors, builders, installers, inspectors and realtors to view first hand the newest technology in wastewater recycling and to ask questions of the pros. This unique event affords many with an opportunity to meet designers and equipment providers and learn how these systems work to protect groundwater quality.
- Thursday, October 10 – 8:00 am – A Special Issues Symposium – Myth vs Fact – Do Water Conditioning Chemicals Affect the Performance of Onsite Systems is being cosponsored by NOWRA and the Water Quality Association.
- NOWRA’s Experiential Field Education Program – Registered participants board busses at the hotel at 8 am This program includes a full day of education “hands-on” activities focusing on septage management at the Tim Frank award-winning facility, and visits to other sites displaying new treatment technologies. Lunch is provided and pre-registration is required.