Later this month, water quality professionals will head west for the 50th Annual Pacific Water Quality Association (PWQA) Convention and Western States Trade Show. The convention, to be held Oct. 23 to 26 in Temecula, Calif., will offer attendees education, industry updates and the opportunity to see the latest technologies for water treatment.
This year’s event will be held at the Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, located just 20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. The show will kick off on Tuesday, Oct. 23, with the Water Treatment Fundamentals Seminar. Here, attendees will learn about point-of-use and point-of-entry water treatment technologies, including cation exchange water softening, residential reverse osmosis, filtration, carbon adsorption and deionization. The nature of water, the hydrologic cycle, common water contaminants and problem water will also be discussed.
Wednesday’s events include the annual golf tournament, WQA exams, the PWQA annual meeting and a welcome reception. The keynote speaker for this year’s annual meeting is WQA Executive Director Peter Censky. An industry update will be given at the meeting, and an election of the new PWQA board members will be held.
The educational seminars at this year’s convention, to be held on Thursday, Oct. 25, are sure to benefit all who attend. From key discussions about current water treatment issues in the Pacific region to helpful information on how to operate a successful business, these sessions will deliver the information professionals need to succeed in the water industry.
In addition to the trade show event, Thursday’s schedule is packed with educational seminars that will feature many of the industry’s most noted professionals. The following are some key sessions not to miss:
- Ion Exchange: Selective Removal of Emerging Contaminants 8:00-9:00 a.m. Frank DeSilva of ResinTech will discuss the changes in groundwater availability and how it is leading to new opportunities for equipment used for potable water treatment.
- Ultrafiltration 9:00-10:00 a.m. Andy Warnes of GE will explain ultrafiltration technology and how it differs from reverse osmosis. Warnes will explain new potential applications for the home and business.
- Water Treatment Designs 10:00-11:00 a.m. Matt Wirth of Charger Water Systems will discuss a no- nonsense approach to designing treatment systems for problem waters in the home and business.
- GAC: Right Product—Right Job 11:00-12:00 p.m. Ken Schaeffer of Carbon Resources will discuss properties of granular activated carbon and how the treatment experts match the properties to the application.
- Insurance—Minimizing Insurance Premiums & Maximizing Coverage 4:00-5:00 p.m. Mark Smith of Mark A. W. Smith Claims will discuss potential pitfalls—including fleet operations, general liability, workman’s comp, errors and omissions, product liability and other issues—that dealers and original equipment manufacturers may face in the normal course of doing business.
- Money Management & Discussing the Needs of Small Business 5:00-6:00 p.m. Mike Sessum of Performance Water will discuss the legal obligations—including taxes, forms, filing, and accounting set-ups and practices— necessary to run today’s small businesses. Sessum will also discuss setting up credit limits, factoring, credit card use and banking advice.
Who You’ll See
More than 50 exhibitors will be available with the latest equipment, technologies and staff on-hand to help you stay ahead in the industry. The trade show will be held from 12:30 to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 25, and from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 26, in the Pechanga Resort & Casino Main Ballroom.
Pacific WQA’s 50th Annual Show & Convention will offer the latest industry updates and educational seminars