Singapore International Water Week to Focus on Water Strategies
The International Desalination Assn. will serve as a strategic partner for SIWW
The International Desalination Assn. (IDA) has been a strategic partner for Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) since the event’s inception. This year, IDA is co-organizing the Desalination and Water Reuse Business Forum with PUB (Public Utilities Board), Singapore’s national water agency, participating in the Water Leaders Summit, exhibiting at the Water Expo and conducting a two-day IDA Desalination Academy course.
Now held every two years, SIWW is one of the world’s largest events focused on water strategies. It takes place June 1 to 5 at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands.
The Desalination and Water Reuse Business Forum will be held on Wednesday, June 4, from 2 to 5 p.m. It focuses on the latest in desalination and water reuse technologies and business opportunities, with sessions presented by technology and utility leaders. Dr. Abdullah Al-Alshaikh, deputy governor of planning and development for Saline Water Conversion Corp. and IDA president, will deliver the welcome address at the forum. The sessions include:
- "Emerging Water Technologies in the Desalination and Water Reuse Markets";
- "Water Technologies in the Desalination and Water Reuse Markets"; and
- "Sembcorp’s Integrated Water and Power Plant in Fujairah, UAE — Innovative Energy and Water Resources."
These sessions will be followed by discussions about challenges and opportunities in the desalination and water reuse markets featuring presentations on desalination and water reuse opportunities in Oman, Kuwait, Western Australia and the Americas. A question-and-answer session will follow, moderated by Leon Awerbuch, IDA director and dean of the IDA Desalination Academy, and president of Leading Edge Technologies.
IDA also will be represented at the invitation-only Water Leaders Summit. Al-Alshaikh will participate, along with a roster of top executives in the global water industry. The summit is an exclusive gathering of global water leaders who come together to discuss challenges and co-create innovative solutions to crucial water issues.
Visitors to the Water Expo are invited to stop by IDA’s booth, #B2-A14. IDA staff will be on hand to greet visitors from around the world and introduce the association to new colleagues in the water treatment industry. IDA will offer a new member promotion at SIWW featuring a 10% discount for those who join on site.
The IDA Desalination Academy will offer an intensive two-day program May 31 to June 1 at the Marina Bay Sands. The course will be conducted by two Academy Master Teachers who are recognized around the world for expertise in their specific fields.
- On May 31, David H. Paul will present "Operational Aspects of Reverse Osmosis (RO) and Membrane Plants." Designed for those new to RO technology, as well as those with experience, the course will focus on common problems that may arise and effective ways to solve these problems.
- On June 1, Dr. Boris Liberman will conduct a course on "mega projects" covering the design of "mega-size" RO desalination plants, including the Ashkelon, Hadera and Soreq facilities.