UN Releases World Summit's Key Water Initiatives
The United Nations has released a partial list of agreements reached and initiatives launched at the World Summit for Sustainable Development just held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Under the heading "Water and Sanitation" was the following:
Halve the proportion of people without access to sanitation by 2015, matching the goal for those without access to safe drinking water.
U.S. announced $970 million in investments over three years.
EU announced "water for life" initiative targeted at Africa and Central Asia.
Asia Development Bank provided $5 million grant to U.N. Habitat and $500 million in loans to Water for Asian Cities program.
More Like This
- Summit on the Summit to Raise Awareness of Clean Water Crisis
- Colorado Climber Launches Three-Year Expedition for Water and Sanitation Solutions
- E.U. Sees Water and Sanitation Key Priorities for Development
- World Summit Focuses on Freshwater
- Delegates of Chlorine Chemistry Industry to Address World Water Forum in Kyoto