UN Releases World Summit's Key Water Initiatives
The United Nations has released a partial list of agreements reached and initiatives launched at the World Summit for Sustainable Development just held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Under the heading "Water and Sanitation" was the following:
Halve the proportion of people without access to sanitation by 2015, matching the goal for those without access to safe drinking water.
U.S. announced $970 million in investments over three years.
EU announced "water for life" initiative targeted at Africa and Central Asia.
Asia Development Bank provided $5 million grant to U.N. Habitat and $500 million in loans to Water for Asian Cities program.
More Like This
- Schuylkill River Watershed Water Quality Improving, but More Progress is Needed, Report Says
- New Technical Conference to Explore Crucial Ground Water Issues
- Proceedings from Water Security Summit 2001 Offered by Haestad Methods
- Water Infrastructure Under Review at Water Security Summit 2001
- Water Security Summit to Focus on Safeguarding the Nation's Drinking Water