Aug 12, 2003

Baby Dies After Drinking Arsenic-Tainted Water at Party

Poison was stored in a plastic jug similar to jugs filled with water

Despite police efforts to rush him an antidote, a 4-month-old boy died of arsenic poisoning in Boston after he and his 2-year-old sister drank tainted water that was given to them at a private party.

The baby died Monday. The day before, state police raced 240 miles to Boston from a hospital in Bangor, Maine that treated poisoning victims earlier this year. Bad weather had made an airlift impossible, the local district attorney's office said.

The infant's parents were at a private party Saturday when they asked for water for their two children. The poison was stored in a plastic jug similar to jugs filled with water, a law enforcement official told The Boston Globe.

Police are trying to determine why the home owner had the arsenic and why he kept it with the water jugs, officials said.

 

expand_less