Groundwater industry awards to be presented during Groundwater Week 2017
The National Ground Water Assn. (NGWA) congratulated the recipients of the 2017 NGWA Awards of Excellence, Sectional Awards, Outstanding Groundwater Project Awards, and Fellow Designation, which will be presented in December 2017 at Groundwater Week in Nashville, Tenn.
John Schnieders, Ph.D., chief chemist with Water Systems Engineering Inc. in Ottawa, Kansas, will be receiving NGWA’s top honor—the Ross L. Oliver Award for outstanding contributions to the groundwater industry.
Nominator John Jansen, Ph.D., stated, “John [Schnieders] has worked with groundwater professionals in all industry segments to solve problems. He understands the various challenges those working in the industry face because he listens, he establishes rapport, he communicates the scientific principles in terms of practical application.
“His contribution is perhaps also unique as he has succeeded in bringing the technical advances in polymer chemistry and microbiology together into a practical set of concepts and procedures that are well received and accepted by contractors, scientists, and engineers. This has been possible because of his keen and curious intellect, and his kind and gracious nature.”
In addition to his receiving the Ross L. Oliver Award this year, Schnieders is being recognized with a Life Member Award.
The other NGWA 2017 award recipients are:
- Eileen Poeter, Ph.D., PE, professor emeritus, Colorado School of Mines and consultant with Poeter Engineering, Golden, Colorado—M. King Hubbert Award for major science contributions to the knowledge of groundwater and Life Member Award, as well as an NGWA Fellow Designation;
- Richard Thron, MGWC, president, Mantyla Well Drilling, Lakeland, Minnesota—Robert Storm Intersectional Cooperation Award;
- Thomas M. Christy, PE, vice president, Geoprobe Systems, Salina, Kansas—Technology Award;
- Daniel T. Meyer, MGWC, Garden Grove, California, and James Paulhus, Cranston, Rhode Island—Life Member Awards;
- Bernt Lorentz, CEO, Lorentz, Slaton, Texas—Equipment Design Award;
- Alan Eades, CWD/PI, CVCLD, Eades Drilling & Pump Service, Hobbs, New Mexico—Standard Bearer Award;
- CDM Smith—South Miami Heights Water Treatment Plant Injection Well System and Upper Floridan Aquifer Test Production Well Program – Groundwater Supply Project Award;
- Nebraska Department of Health – Nebraska Grout Study/Nebraska Annular Space Study—Groundwater Protection Project Award;
- Hendrik Haitjema, Ph.D., president, Haitjema Consulting Inc. and retired professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, and Franklin W. Schwartz, Ph.D., professor and Ohio Eminent Scholar, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio—Keith E. Anderson Award for outstanding contributions to NGWA’s Scientists and Engineers Section;
- The late Suthan S. Suthersan, Ph.D., PE, Arcadis, Newtown, Pennsylvania—John Hem Award presented by the NGWA Scientists and Engineers Section for a significant, recent (within the past five years) scientific or engineering contribution to the understanding of groundwater;
- Moyland “Mo” Rainey, vice president, Simmons Mfg. Co., McDonough, Georgia—Manufacturers Section Special Recognition Award; and
- Steven Chisholm, CPI, president, CMC Supply Inc., Roanoke, Virginia—Supplier of the Year Award.
Click here to read more about NGWA awards.