Mighty Earth, an environmental campaign organization, has started a...
Award recognizes excellence in environmental leadership
NSF Intl. earned a 2011 Green Ribbon Award from the American Water Works Assn. (AWWA). NSF received the award, which recognizes excellence in environmental leadership, for its array of sustainable service offerings and its internal commitment to sustainability.
NSF employs a variety of sustainable practices throughout its organization, including:
• Regular water quality assessments to verify that no harmful pollutants are discharged into waterways;
• The Drinking Water Treatment lab, which tests residential and commercial water treatment and filtration products, recycles more than 2 million gal of water annually;
• Encouraging its employees to participate in the company’s sustainability initiatives. The NSF Sustainability Committee focuses on recycling, employee education programs and NSF’s own organic garden, which has donated more than 650 lb of fresh produce to area food kitchens;
• Regular recycling and waste reduction, including employee education, purchasing recycled-content products and incorporating these practices into its policies; and
• Recycling more than 5,100 lb of metals (copper, brass and stainless steel) annually.
To help recognize these internal efforts, NSF earned LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for its laboratory addition. NSF also has earned Environmental Management System (ISO) 14001 certification to help demonstrate its commitment to environmental stewardship.
Many companies that are registered or certified by NSF also earned the 2011 Green Ribbon Award, including: American Cast Iron Pipe Co, Ameron Intl., East Jordan Iron Works, Flomatic Corp., Georg Fischer Central Plastics LLC, Griffin Pipe Products, Master Meter Inc., Neptune Technology Group Inc., Orica Watercare Inc., PAX Water Technologies Inc., Performance Pipe, Severn Trent Services, Trojan Technologies and Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies.
NSF will receive its green ribbon during AWWA’s Annual Conference and Exposition (ACE11) next month.