WaterTAP Ontario announces call for nominations to board of directors
The nominating and governance committee of the Water Technology Acceleration Project (WaterTAP) has announced a call for nominations for candidates for the board of directors.
The board is seeking directors to fill as many as six positions. All directors will be elected for a two-year term (2016 to 2018).
WaterTAP is seeking volunteers who represent the industry and can bring a broad range of perspectives from across Ontario. These individuals demonstrate excellence in their field of expertise and bring a mix of leadership skills and the entrepreneurial vision critical to fulfilling the mandate of the organization.
The board is placing emphasis on recruitment of candidates who have the time and experience to make a significant impact on the long‐term performance of the organization.
The candidates selected to serve must reflect the true face of Ontario in terms of diversity and regional representation. WaterTAP is looking for people who are committed to the principles and values of public service and who will perform their duties with integrity.
The nominating and governance committee has reviewed requirements as established in the Water Opportunities Act of 2010, as well as the current board composition. The committee has determined that the board currently requires applicants with one or more of the following skill sets and experience:
- Industry knowledge and experience in municipal water/wastewater technical and/or senior management experience, with an understanding of issues and trends affecting this sector.
- Financial fluency – a professional designation is helpful, but not necessary
- Aboriginal heritage and/or a breadth of experience in First Nations issues, both from cultural and business perspectives. Having a home base in Northern Ontario and specific experience working with Northern Ontario First Nation communities is not mandatory, but would be considered an asset.
- Consulting sector experience and more specifically someone who has operated in a consulting role on the international stage, including engineering consultancy.
- Senior public sector experience at the municipal level with direct water/wastewater experience and a solid understanding of the provincial water sector regulatory framework, legislation and policies; knowledge and understanding of provincial government decision making and accountability mechanisms.
- Board and board governance experience with an understanding of the director’s role, fiduciary duties and the role of the board; be willing to sign annual conflict of interest and confidentiality agreement and agree to adhere to WaterTAP’s corporate polices and guidelines.
- Private sector experience in developing and marketing water and wastewater technologies or services, or raising capital for or financing the development of the water and wastewater technology sector.
- An entrepreneur who owns or manages an innovative small business in Ontario’s clean-technology sector and has experience in bringing technology and innovation to market and/or in developing or commercializing new/innovative technology.
The board will also consider the following additional criteria and attributes:
- Professional qualifications
- Ability to think strategically and communicate effectively
- Credible with a strong reputation that inspires respect
- Able to recognize and manage potential conflicts of interest
- Diversity (e.g., languages spoken, geographic representation etc.)
- 6 to 8 board meetings per year (in person)
- 1 to 2 teleconference board meetings; and
- Minimum participation on 1 board committee
- All nominees must submit the signed application form and send to [email protected]. Nominees also have the option to include their CVs with the application.
- Closing date for applications is March 15, 2016.
- The nominating committee will contact selected nominees to arrange an interview.
- A slate of candidates will be prepared for the board’s consideration.
- All nominees will be informed about the outcome of the selection process.